All you need to know about Form 26AS
February 17, 2022
Form 26AS is a significant document while filing tax. With the help of TRACES website, the process of downloading and accessing the document is easier. Let’s find out more.
What is Form 26AS?
Form 26AS is a statement that gives detailed information about any amount deducted in the name of TDS or TCS from different income sources of a taxpayer. Alongwith that Form 26SA shows details of any advance tax/self-assessment tax if paid, or any other high-value transaction that has been added by the taxpayer.
Details shown in the Form 26AS statement are mentioned as below:
- Tax deductions of all sorts from the income
- Tax collection by collectors
- Advance tax payment by the taxpayer
- Payments of Self-assessment tax
- Assessment tax deposited regularly by the PAN holders
- Income tax refund detailed received by taxpayer during the financial year
- High-value transactions details related to shares, mutual funds, etc.
- Additional details of any mutual fund purchase and dividend, interest on income tax refunds, off-market transactions, salary break-up details, etc.
As per the new rules of Form 26AS, it will include the additional information based on specified financial transactions, pending/ completed assessment proceedings, tax demands and refunds along with the existing data presented in the form.
Ways to Download Form 26AS?
To download form 26AS from the TRACES website or from the net banking facility of authorised banks, simply visit www.incometax.gov.in and login using your login ID and password of the income tax department. If you are not registered, make sure you register your PAN first and go head with the further filing process.
- Log in with your User ID - You can use PAN / Aadhaar number / or other user ID. Once it confirms the user ID as valid, you can follow the process.
- You can access the account via net banking platform.
- Make sure you confirm the secure access message by marking the checkbox given below the message. Then it will be set as ‘Login’.
Please note that the default secure message validates the genuineness of the income tax website. You can also make a personalised secure access message with the help of ‘Profile’ option.
- Now, simply enter the password and tap on ‘continue’.
- Tap on ‘e-file’. Go to ‘Income Tax Returns’ and choose ‘View Form 26AS’ from the drop down.
- You can now ‘View Form 26AS’
- Tap ‘Confirm’ on the disclaimer, you are then redirected to the TRACES website (don’t worry, it's completely safe to operate on a government website).
- You are now on TRACES Website
- Select the given box on the screen and tap on ‘Proceed’.
- Select on the link at the bottom – ‘Click View Tax Credit (Form 26AS) to view your Form 26AS’.
- Select the Assessment Year and the format in which you want the view interface of Form 26AS. The available formats are HTML/ PDF. Once you are sure, enter the ‘Verification Code’ and press the ‘View/Download’ button.
Step 9 (Final step)
- Once the download is complete, you can open and view ‘Form 26AS’.
Instructions to download Form 26AS in excel format
To download Form 26AS in excel format, follow the below steps:
- Login to your income tax e-filing account> Open ‘e-File’ menu, tap on ‘Income Tax Returns’ from the drop down and click on ‘View Form 26AS.
- Go through the ‘disclaimer’ and click on ‘Confirm’.
- Once you do that, it will redirect you to the TDS portal.
- To go forward, click on ‘agree’ to accept the conditions and click on the ‘Proceed’ button.
- Select ‘View tax credit (Form 26AS)’. Choose the assessment year you want to select and click ‘view type’ as ‘Excel’. Now tap on the ‘View/download’ button.
Step-by-step guide to view Form 26SA on TRACES Portal
- To view Form 26AS on the TRACES website or to download it, you need to follow the step-by-step guide.
- Viewing option of Form 26AS from FY 2008-09 onwards is available via the net banking facility of your bank account.
- Also, the facility to view Form 26AS is accessible to a PAN holder, if he/she holds a net banking account with an authorised bank.
- Now, you can view ‘Form 26AS’ if your PAN number is linked. Please note that this facility is available for free.
From the above listed points, you can follow multiple methods to view and download Form 26SA from the Income Tax Department e-filing portal and based on the requirement and availability that suits best in your case can be implemented. If you need any further clarification, you must visit the government website, and contact the support team.