How to view and download form 26AS?
June 30, 2021
On 7th of June 2021, the income tax department of India launched its new website eportal.incometax.gov.in that aims to simplify income tax return (ITR) filing process for taxpayers. The portal, as the Ministry of Finance says, has simplified the download feature of form 26AS as well.
Form 26AS is the annual consolidated statement that contains tax credit information of each taxpayer against his PAN. It provides details of any tax deducted (TDS) or collected (TCS) from various sources of income of a taxpayer. The new Form 26AS, which is effective from 1st June, 2020 now also reflects the following details along with TDS and TCS:
- Details of specified financial transactions
- Information regarding Advance Tax/Self Assessment Tax paid by the taxpayer
- Tax demands and refunds
- Information relating to pending as well as completed proceedings
- Details of high value transactions
Parts of 26AS:
- Part A: Details of Tax Deducted at Source (TDS)
- Part A1: Details of Tax Deducted at Source for Form 15G/Form 15H
- Part A2: Details of TDS on sale of Immovable Property u/s194(IA) (For seller of Property)
- Part B: Details of Tax Collected at Source (TCS)
- Part C: Details of Tax Paid (Other than TDS or TCS)
- Part D: Details of Paid Refund
- Part E: Details of AIR Transaction (Annual Information Return of high value financial transaction)
- Part F: Details of TDS on sale of immovable property u/s194IA (For Buyer of property)
- Part G: TDS Defaults (processing of defaults)
How to view Form 26AS?
It is always advisable to view 26AS before filing the income tax return to check the amount of tax deposited in taxpayer’s account with the Income Tax Department. There are two ways to view and download 26AS:
- The taxpayer can log in to his income tax filing account on the Income Tax Department’s e-filing website.
- The taxpayer can view Form 26AS from FY 2008-09 onwards through his net banking account held with any authorised bank if his PAN is linked to such bank account. Following banks are registered with NSDL for providing a view of Tax Credit Statement (Form 26AS) :
- Axis Bank Limited
- Bank of India
- Bank of Maharashtra
- Bank of Baroda
- Citibank N.A.
- Corporation Bank
- City Union Bank Limited
- ICICI Bank Limited
- IDBI Bank Limited
- Indian Overseas Bank
- Kotak Mahindra Bank Limited
- Indian Bank
- Karnataka Bank
- Oriental Bank of Commerce
- State Bank of India
- State Bank of Mysore
- State Bank of Travancore
- State Bank of Patiala
- The Federal Bank Limited
- The Saraswat Co-operative Bank Limited
- UCO Bank
- Union Bank of India
How to download Form 26AS from the e-filing website?
To download and view Form 26AS from Income Tax Department’s website, simply follow the steps below:
STEP 1 –
- Go to e-filing website eportal.incometax.gov.in
- Click on ‘Login’ at top right corner of the page to login. In case the user is not registered, he needs to register first.
STEP 2 –
- Enter your User ID- which is usually PAN or Aadhar number and click on ‘continue’
STEP 3 –
- Select the tick box given and confirm your secure access. The default secure access message here is set as ‘Login’. This default secure message is a proof of genuineness of the income tax website accessed and can be changed to his own personalised secure access message from ‘Profile’.
- Enter password and click on ‘continue’.
STEP 4 –
- On the next screen that appears, go to ‘e-file’ drop-down → Income tax returns → View Form 26AS
STEP 5 –
- A disclaimer appears informing that the user is now directed to TRACES website (Nothing to worry as it is a government website and completely safe). Click on ‘confirm’.
STEP 6 –
- The TRACES website appears. Select the tick box and click on ‘Proceed’.
STEP 7 –
- Click on the link ‘View Tax Credit (Form 26AS)’ given at the bottom of the page.
STEP 8 –
- Choose the Assessment Year from drop-down menu and the format in which you want to see your Form 26AS. If you want to see it online, you can leave the format as HTML.
If you want you can also choose to download it as a PDF too. After making the required selections, click on ‘View/Download’
After downloading you can view the Form 26AS by clicking on it.
How to view Form 26AS using internet banking account held with authorised bank?
To view Form 26AS using net banking account follow the given steps:
STEP 1 –
Login to your bank’s internet banking website using your login ID and password.
STEP 2 –
After logging in, click on the option ‘Tax Credit Statement’ or ‘TRACES (26AS) Services’ to view your Form 26AS.
We, at scoreme.in are committed towards our endeavour to ease out the existing practises in the financial sector. This comes with the usage of AI and automation. Our services range from GSTR, ITR analysis to bank statement analysis. Do write to us at www.scoreme.in for further assistance in the same.